Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 05 - The Real World Intrudes

Day 05 - first day polyphasic day at work. I have the best possible shift this week to accommodate the schedule, which is great, but still it might be a challenge. Got through the work day absolutely fine, not feeling tired or stretched at all. I did, however extend the period between two naps to about 5 1/2 hours. Came home, slept, had a large dinner, then a little later went for my 10pm. That's when I started to feel a bit tired. Not desperately tired but bad enough to cut down on my functionality. Certainly worse than Day04. Remained like that for the rest of the night unfortunately, despite taking extra naps. They helped, but were not enough to shake the fuzzy-headedness. Not sure if it was the big meal or the stretched time between naps that did it. I'd be inclined to think the former. Anyway, it's another reminder that I'm not even close to being out of the traditional adjustment period (ie up to 2 weeks), so I'm not too worried about it.

On the black side of that balance sheet, I'm dreaming in pretty much every nap now. It's quite a change - for example, I set my alarm for 5 minutes instead of 25 by accident recently. Fell asleep, woke up with alarm, was already dreaming and felt like I had slept for hours. I felt, in fact, like that nap would've been sufficient. Steve's tried that in the past though, and found that you'll be fine for the first 2 hours or so and then need another nap. Hmm. Could be a new flavour of polyphasing in the works... UltraUberman - Twelve 5 min naps a day! In all seriousness I think Thomas Edison was on a very similar schedule. Crazy man. The wonders that our bodies are capable of, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment