Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day 03 - What Dreams May Come...

Good news and bad news. Start with the bad, eh? I overslept again. It's extremely frustrating. I'm not sure exactly how much it knocks back the adjustment period, but it can't be helpful. Will have to think of something to sort that out. Good news? I'm starting to dream in my 20min sleep segments. This is very encouraging, as it means I'm beginning to achieve REM sleep within that period, which is what the adjustment phase is all about. Once you start dreaming regularly it gets a lot easier. Which would be a bonus. Some awake segs I'm completely alert, some I'm functional but lethargic and drowsy - and others don't bear remembering. The last two are most common at the moment. One of the hardest aspects of adjusting is that in the middle of the night, there's no one to talk to, and not much to do. Oh, you can make grand lists of "things to do when going polyphasic" and that's good but it's not really going to help you during this first phase. Cause you're too tired to concentrate on any of your well-intentioned tasks. Those are for later. Walking is good - I think I'll go for walks more often. Brain power required is almost zip, does a wonderful job of keeping you awake, and is healthy into the bargain. More walking, less oversleeping. Easy to say.

2 comments:

  1. You'll just become a sleep walker :) I had such a good sleep last night, woke up at 6am with no alarm clock, my dream story nicely wrapped up. And now I'm naturally productive and creative... just to rub it in your face :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, well don't stay up too late or you'll ruin it for tomorrow. :p Glad it's going well though.

    ReplyDelete